Running for two weeks from Thursday 2 December across England and Wales, this will be the first live tour for nearly two years.
Richard Durrant’s Christmas Candlelit Tour promises a welcome seasonal feast with Christmas songs and wintry Folk, traditional carols and solo guitar music – plus a few surprises!
The picture above shows Richard, Brian, Amy, Felix and Django rehearsing ahead of the tour starting on Thursday.
A new setting of Christina Rossetti’s poem
This year’s programme will include the Harold Darke arrangement of In the Bleak Midwinter – that most famous setting of Christina Rossetti’s words – plus Richard has also written his own setting of another Rossetti poem.
This brand new piece, called Ice Garden, will be sung by Amy Kakoura and Richard accompanied by Richard’s classical guitar and Brian Gulland’s bassoon.
Other Durrant originals included in the set are Richard’s Christmas in Our Town, The Haw Frost Song (co-written with daughter Daisy) and Django’s Is it all for Christmas?
The combination of instruments is also rather interesting, perhaps unique! Certainly wintry…
- RICHARD is playing classical, acoustic and tenor guitars as well as cello.
- BRIAN will play crumhorn, bassoon, keyboards and a selection of recorders and whistles.
- The youngest member of the band, Richard’s son FELIX,will leave his double bass at home in favour of his Fender Jazz bass guitar, but he will also double on keyboards.
- And Felix’s brother DJANGO has made himself a drum kit incorporating cajon (with a kick drum pedal) and glockenspiel.
- The band will join lead singer AMY for additional vocals in the ‘SATB’ carols (Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass).